- 5/24/13;Reminder that the Forest City CSD will have a one (1) hour early dismissal on Friday, May 24th.:
- 5/25/13, ANNOUNCEMENT; Family Fun ride has been rerouted: from Waldorf College, down J Street to Golf Course Road, to the Golf Course. At the Golf Course, families will enjoy the build-your-own Trail Mix station and compete in put-put golf then return for the pasta feed and games at Waldorf College. :
MINNESOTA HARVEST Minnesota projected to harvest record corn crop MINNEAPOLIS (AP) – Despite the drought that parched the rest of the country, 2012 is shaping up as a pleasant surprise for many Minnesota farmers. The U.S. Department of Agriculture projects Minnesota farmers will harvest 1.39 billion bushels of corn, up 15 percent from last year. If that estimate holds true, it would beat the state record of 1.29 billion bushels set in 2010. Minnesota’s average corn yield is forecast at 168 bushels per acre, a 12 bushel improvement from last year, but below the record of 177 bushels two years ago. Minnesota’s soybean production is forecast at 300 million bushels, up 9 percent from last year, with an average yield of 43 bushels per acre, up four bushels from last year. Sugarbeet production is expected to hit a record 12.8 million tons.
GOVERNOR’S PHEASANT OPENER Dayton heading to Marshall for pheasant opener (Information in the following story is from: KMHL-AM, http://www.marshallradio.net) MARSHALL, Minn. (AP) – Governor Mark Dayton heads to Marshall today for the second annual Governor’s Pheasant Hunting Opener. Dayton started the Governor’s Pheasant Opener last year in Montevideo (mawn-tuh-VIH’-dee-oh). This year, he’ll be joined in Marshall by Congressman Collin Peterson, DNR Commissioner Tom Landwehr, Public Safety Commissioner Mona Dohman and others. Marshall Area Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Cal Brink says Dayton’s visit isn’t about politics. Brink tells KMHL-AM that it’s more about what hunting does for Minnesota, and “how good the hunting is in southwest Minnesota.” Dayton’s visit will include a banquet at the Conference Center at Southwest Minnesota State University, and hunting Saturday on public land just outside of Marshall.
VP DEBATE-BIDEN AGGRESSIVENESS Biden shows fight in VP debate with U.S. Rep. Ryan WASHINGTON (AP) – Vice President Joe Biden mockingly smiled, wagged his finger and couldn’t seem to stop interrupting Republican running mate Paul Ryan. Democrats cheered his sharp tone in the only vice presidential debate held Thursday night. Republicans panned the vice president as disrespectful to his younger opponent. Biden’s aggressive approach stood in stark contrast to President Barack Obama’s listless – and widely panned – turn on the debate stage last week. Obama, to the dismay of his supporters, clenched his jaw, looked down at his notes, and held back his criticism of Republican nominee Mitt Romney. Ryan, sitting on the national debate stage for the first time, settled on a smirk for much of the debate. He sipped water and cleared his throat through many of Biden’s answers in Danville, Kentucky.
ACCIDENTAL SHOOTING Minn. man injured after accidental shooting in ND BARNEY, N.D. (AP) – A Minnesota man has been transferred to a local hospital after he was accidentally shot in the leg in North Dakota. The Richland County Sheriff’s Office says Arnulfo Junior Lopez, of Colfax, was showing 43-year-old George Standinger his .22 caliber pistol when it accidentally discharged about 1 p.m. Thursday on a farm near Barney. Authorities say the bullet hit Standinger’s right leg and lodged in his ankle. Standinger, of Plainview, Minnesota was transferred to St. Francis Medical Center in Breckenridge, Minnesota. The Sheriff’s Office says Standinger’s condition is unknown, though the injury is not believed to be life threatening.
MENINGITIS OUTBREAK-MINNESOTA Minn. lawsuit may be 1st from meningitis outbreak MINNEAPOLIS (AP) – A Minnesota woman who may have received tainted steroid injections blamed for the nationwide fungal meningitis outbreak is suing the drug seller, though she hasn’t been diagnosed with the rare illness. The federal lawsuit filed Thursday appears to be the first stemming from the outbreak, though many are expected. The suit says Barbe (bar-BEE’) Puro suffered headaches and nausea after receiving neck injections to ease back pain in September, but believed the symptoms normal. The Minnesota Department of Health later contacted her, saying she may have received contaminated shots sold by the New England Compounding Center. Puro underwent a spinal tap to test for meningitis. Results are pending. Center spokesman Andrew Paven declined comment, saying the company hadn’t seen the lawsuit. Paven says it’s the first lawsuit he’s heard about.
PHOTOGRAPHY STORE-HOMICIDES Police: Slaying suspect stole from camera shop (Information in the following story is from: La Crosse Tribune, http://www.lacrossetribune.com) MILWAUKEE (AP) – Bail is set at $10 million for a Minnesota man charged with killing a father and son at their La Crosse photography store. Thirty-nine-year-old Jeffrey Lepsch, of Dakota, Minnesota appeared Thursday in Winona County court in Minnesota. Lepsch could have waived extradition to Wisconsin, but asked to appear with an attorney. The judge appointed a public defender and set the next court appearance for October 18th. Investigators believe Lepsch walked into the downtown La Crosse shop on September 15th and killed 56-year-old Paul Petras and his 19-year-old son, A.J. Petras. Police say Lepsch stole $16,000 in camera equipment Lepsch remains in the Winona County Jail.